Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Follis.Jordyn.Abstract.


The purpose of this paper is to inform the readers about Leukemia and how it affects the fighter and the fighters family. Leukemia is a type of blood cancer that begins in the bone marrow. White blood cells (known as leukocytes) are used by the body to fight infections and other foreign substances. This paper is going to include both a cause and effect, and a narrative point of stand. A cause and effect will be displayed by educating the readers how leukemia forms in the body and the effect it has on the patient and family. The narrative part of this paper will include sharing the story about my cousin, Hannah, who is currently battling this disease. I will share how she was diagnosed with Leukemia, what kind of treatment she went through, how the treatment effects Hannah. Interview subjects will be my uncle, the father of my 7 year old cousin who is currently battling leukemia. He will be questioned about my cousin specifically. What kind of leukemia was she diagnosed with? What was her chances of winning the battle? He will also be questioned about the effect that the whole situation has had on him, hannah, her siblings, and other relatives. From the interview, the readers will get informed from a more narrative not just a research point of view.

3 comments:

  1. Jordyn, I like your idea and I think there is a lot of things that you could talk about for this topic! Since you are basing the paper on a narrative purpose and cause and effect purpose at the same time, I think that the beginning should be the part where you talk about what Leukemia is and how it develops. This would be your intro paragraph. You could then go on to talk about the different ways that it affects the cancer patient and the family of the patient. You could also bring in a compare and contrast purpose because you could compare your cousin's experiences with cancer to the different research that you find from your sources. Overall, I think this will be a really good paper with a strong topic as long as you stick to one idea and it looks to me that you are going to talk about the way that cancer affects the patient and their family. I can't wait to see how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have person experience with Leukemia as well, my grandfather was diagnosed with it about 6 or 7 years ago. He's been through countless amounts of treatment and radiation. One year we even had to spend Christmas at the Mayo clinic. I am very interested in seeing the type of information you come up with in your research about the family dynamics and how cancer effects them. I like how you have included a narrative point of view with your research, that is what i am also planning on doing and I think it adds a little something extra to the paper. Interested to see how it turns out because I know too what Leukemia can do to a family. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good topic. It is a good that you started off defining what Leukemia is. It gives the reader an idea of what your topic is about. It would be cool if you gave some background information about Leukemia in your research paper. For example you could write about what the possible causes of Leukemia. Also you could include preventions if there are any, and you could write about the kind of treatments. I think it makes papers more interesting when they are written about a personal topic that would lead it to a more narrative route, because of this I thinks its great that you are doing your paper on a family member. I like how you will be talking about the effects Leukemia has on everyone included in the situation. It would be interesting to know what specific kind of effects the situation has on the whole family due to this diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete