Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Research Paper RD Proposal

For my research paper I want to go more in dept about cancer and how it affect the fighter and the fighters families. This was my Ted talk topic and I want to go more in depth about it. I want to start with talking about what cancer is and the different types and go into the different types. And then talk more specifically about leukemia. I want to do my essay a narrative but also a cause and effect. The cause of cancer and then the effect cancer has on the patient and all the family members of the fighter. For this paper I am thinking about interviewing my uncle, he could tell me a lot of details about how Hannah's daily life has changed dramatically and what she has to do every day from the start of her treatment, to the end, and for the test of her life. He will also tell me more on how it effects the family as well. I recently talked to my uncle and asked him about how Hannah was doing and I also asked him how Nick and Ella were doing (Hannah's siblings). And he told me how much it has affected them too as a person. It has changed how they see life. It has effected my uncle and aunt dramatically as parents I know that. They have had their hardships since the Hannah was diagnosed, and they have to do what's best for Hannah not exactly for them. Their first thought is how will this effect Hannah and is this a good choice? I want to show throughtout my essay not only the effect on cancer patients but also the effect on family members. 

*Anybody that have any ideas or comments please comment I would really appreciate it!"*

3 comments:

  1. I think that because your topic is so personal, it'll be easy for you to do research to find out the best information. I think maybe because cancer is such a huge topic I would maybe skip talking about all the different types and just focus on leukemia. Maybe pull in some stats about what age group it affects most and maybe some other trends tied to the disease. If I remember right you had quite a bit from your TED talk so some research may be done already! I think think interviewing your uncle is a really good person to interview because you get the parent perspective and he is able to explain how he has seen changes in Hannah and her siblings. I think you could pull apart the interview and place it within different points of the research articles you'll find as a way to validate from a more personal view and to give a real life example of the effects talked about in the research. I think that way your paper won't be generalizing onto one family. For your research you could also look at psychological studies and observations to answer your question of how cancer affects the fighter and the fighter's family. Overall I really like your ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like you said on mine, we have really similar ideas! I like your idea and I think that you could go about it in many different ways! Since your cousin is battling leukemia at the moment, I think that this could really work if you made it mostly a narrative. You could talk about the ways that it has affected her, her parents and siblings. Then you could talk about how it has affected your family and say how even though you aren't part of her immediate family, this situation has affected you in the same way as it has affected her and her immediate family, such as her parents and siblings. I think that it would work very well if you interviewed her father because you could find out how this has affected him and you could compare it to the way it has affected you. With that being said, you could also turn this into a compare and contrast essay if you would want and compare how it affects you to how it affects her father when you interview him. It would probably make most sense to make it a narrative and then choose either cause and effect or compare and contrast because doing all three might make it a little long! I just gave you a thought about compare and contrast but I think cause and effect would work too! You'll have a lot of great information to put into this paper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd focus almost solely on childhood leukemia, rather than keeping that umbrella "cancer" - look at how treatments for children present their own challenges from a medical end as well as a financial end. Part of what you write about in the end will be informed by what you get from the interview, obviously, but the big thing is the ready-made specificity which exists here

    ReplyDelete