Thursday, April 3, 2014

Follis.Jordyn.Revise

       Throughout the short story Winning Sarah Spooner, the characteristics of stereotypical male and females are exhibited. From the beginning of the story, Sarah Spooner is the caring and friendly main female role who goes to her next door neighbors and brings them some home cooked food items. Her action of doing this shows how a stereotypical women should act. "She had once tried to make their acquaintance. She had gone to their backdoor with six fresh-baked buns and knocked several times."(44) From this quote, it can be concluded that Sarah is expected to be the sweet lady who cooks for her neighbors and makes friends. Being the nice lady who brings good over to her neighbors shows us exactly what a stereotypical female should do when new neighbors arrive. Then Emmett Heed shows the readers how a stereotypical male should act. He takes the first step by coming over and meeting the lady. By doing so, Emmett shows his masculinity. It shows that he has the guts to come over and introduce himself first to some women he has never met before. In the story when Sarah is talking to the Oriole Bird and telling it not to be scared of the Firecracker because there used to be so many around, it foreshadows how she is trying to tell her herself not to be scared to go over and meet Emmett her neighbor who just moved in just because she has experienced a bad situation with other people who have been her neighbors. Every time Emmett comes over, Sarah shows what female roles are suppose to be like. For example, she makes food in her kitchen and whenever he is over she always gives him some. It shows how women are suppose to be the cooks and be the person the men to depend on for their needs. When Emmett comes over he always is wearing a dirty shirt. She takes notice of that and asks him if he wants her to clean his clothes for him. Her actions show that stereotypical women are suppose to mother and clean things that are dirty. The male and female roles are specifically pointed out throughout this story by looking through the Gender Lens. 

When I read through all the comment from the peer review, I revised a few things in this three hundred word paragraph. One thing that I changed was how I started my paragraph. I have a flow now when starting them, they aren't so awkward. In my first paragraph I don't say the lens I'm using I just point out which one I'm using with my thesis. Another thing I changed was analyzing my thoughts more, go into dept when I say things. Don't just do a quick thought of something, explain your thought. The last thing I changed around in my paragraph was I included a quote that connected what I analyzed and displayed it from the words in the short story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment