Friday, February 7, 2014

Here are some ideas I have for my Ted talk:

1. Drug test welfare participates
     -parents waste up welfare money instead of it going to the needs of their kids
     -what happens to the kids if parents don't past the drug test?

2. Welfare in general
     -what is welfare? Including definition and history about it
     -why do we need it? Families at extremely low incomes need a helping hand with the needs of the family.

3. Paying students for good grades
     -show research and see if it works
     - it would show how parenting affects students grades

My 6 year old cousin was diagnosed May 2013 with leukemia, so doing something about cancer would be meaningful to me, depending on how to do it 

4. How cancer effects you and your family
     -life of a cancer fighter
     -you have no idea you have it, of found quick, how curable it is
     -how much of a battle it is
     -how it changes your life forever

5. Cancer
     -what is it including definition and history on it
     -all the different kinds
     - how it forms
     - how to prevent it
     -treatments
     -chances of getting it
     -chances of
     - does it come back
 
Those are my top 5 topics for my Ted Talk speech, if you would comment and let me know what you think about the topics and which one I should do? And any other directions I could go with a topic that would be great! Thanks!
   
     



2 comments:

  1. Jordyn, looking at all of the ideas you have, your two topics on cancer caught my attention. I am going to go into the Medicine field in college, so the topic of cancer interests me greatly. You have had a very personal experience with it, which would give you many things to talk about. I know that many people are not fully aware of how hard the struggles and battles of cancer really are, so it would be very informative and eye opening. You could combine ideas 4 and 5 that you have above. Starting out by giving us history, information, treatments, different kinds, etc. on cancer would set up the rest of your presentation nicely. Since you've had a close personal experience, you could then talk on how it has affected you and your family. I don’t know how comfortable you may feel, or how your cousin would feel, but interviewing her could add a nice touch to you presentation if that would interest you. I wish you cousin the best in her battle to fight cancer. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with Claire - I think you could make any one of those topics work as you describe them (very good detail on those!) - but the one that really gets me is the more personal one - how does cancer affect the family dynamic? You could build the thrust of it as a narrative purpose, but it would be peppered with definitions, persuasive pieces, and some really really good examples on what works/does not work in the medical field.
    - also...this is the kind of topic you'll definitely want to look at next term, so having it as a TED this term would make next term's research paper a lot more fruitful for you.

    ReplyDelete